Thursday, March 15, 2012

run run run run I get a run

The title is best sung to the tune of the Beach Boys song "I Get Around"

So just a quick note: The workouts that I post here are the workouts I actually do each day. If you like some things, feel free to swap in and out methods that you have learned from other workouts to best fit your needs. Also, you can always take everything slower and at lighter weight. The main point is to grow for you and you alone.  If you keep it up, you will succeed!

So today's workout is simple, it is a long distance run.  We need to give our upper body a rest day after that tough chest workout which no doubt affected our arms, shoulders and back. So like before, set your goal. My goal today was 4 miles. During your goal I want you to preform 10 "power 10's."  This is where you full out sprint for 10 seconds, then bring your heart rate back down to a steady jog. Doing these intervals will help spike your heart rate and kick your metabolism into overdrive. Intensity and interval training like this do wonders for fat loss.

So set your distance goal, and every so often throw in a power 10! Make sure you put enough time in between these power 10's to bring your heart rate back to your steady jogging pace. Enjoy the run! 

1 comment:

  1. I only was able to do 3.5 miles today which will lead me to my next point... MAKE SURE YOU STRETCH!

    If you bump up your mileage to quickly, your body's muscles can't keep up. Today I got a very dull soreness radiating from the bottom of my shin. The problem was not shin splints but fatigue. Many will be quick to write me off and just say "they are shin splints or stress fractures".

    The reason for the pain was due to an intense hill/stair workout, foolishly I did not properly stretch my calf muscles. After tightening up, I went for my run, my shin muscles which are much weaker tried to compensate for my exhausted calf muscles, thus creating that dull burn.

    The point; don't be a hypochondriac and think that you are dying or that your body is broken. The fact is training is building muscle and by training you are improving. Today I realized that my body needs time to recover and that stretching muscles that appear 'ok' is necessary and will add to your gain. Fitness isn't a 35 min run and it's not a gym session. You need to feel your body and making correct assessments. Remember, it is okay to take a step back for the sake of progress.

    Lastly, to quote DudeMeathead "The main point is to grow for you and you alone".

    ReplyDelete