Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Where Did This Come From

So I am silly sore. I could barely put on my socks this morning, let alone do my morning cardio. It was pathetic.  This is one of the rare times that I literally cannot workout today. In situations like these, it is vital to listen to your body. Understand the importance of the healing phase and work with your body to regrow and come back stronger tomorrow. You wouldn't mash mashed potatoes, so why do it to your body?  On a side note, but also directly related, I have started studying and reading up on Yoga. It is truly an amazing practice. So today, I will be doing 30 minutes of yoga. Unfortunately I am not at the point where I can relay information to you or give you a safe and successful course. So my suggestion for now is to look online, or try Comcast OnDemand (they actually have some classes haha).  A good website is: http://www.myyogaonline.com/  Check out some of the beginner sample videos and go through the moves. If you are not into yoga, a suggest a 30 minute stretch session. Here is a good one below. It will alleviate the soreness and get you ready to jam on some weights tomorrow. Oh and increase your ROM (range of motion) which always helps in the gym.


** Hold each stretch for 15 seconds, relax for 10, then hold again for 15 seconds. Then move to the next stretch **

Start standing:

1. Shoulder stretch
2. Tricep stretch
3. Quad stretch (one leg up at a time)
4. Hamstring stretch (bent over)
5. Groin stretch (standing V)
6. Side lunge (from Groin stretch - do both sides)
7. Calves (use a stair)

Now be seated:

1. Lower back left
2. Lower back right
3. Hamstrings (legs out front)
4. V stretch forward
5. V stretch left
6. V stretch right

Now lay down:

1. Lower back left leg up
2. lower back right leg up
3. Inverted lef for hamstring (one at a time)
4. Full body stretch (hands above head - pull hands and feet as far away from each other as possible)

Enjoy the stretch!


No comments:

Post a Comment